}

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Where did August go?

OK, here I am, guilty again (but at least not guilty of the war!).

Probably any readers have given up on me, but I have--he said boldly--not given up on myself!

Actually, there is much good historical material pertaining to August 1919. And more about September. So in the days to come, I intend to finish the consideration of War Guilt, talk about the King-Crane Commission a good bit (and hence the Middle East), get back to the prickly issue of the eastern German border (especially Upper Silesia), and more!

For now, I will just include one item from August 1919. It is an important speech signaling the campaign about to be led by Henry Cabot Lodge and others against the American participationthe postwar order, the new "Wilsonian" world. The most important objection is against the project nearest and dearest to Wilson, the League of Nations. It is a speech worth looking at:

2 comments:

  1. Dear Sir,

    As a side note for possibly some of your readers and maybe yourself. There was a gentleman attending the Treaty talks to seek independence for his home country from what was then named French Indo-China. Today we know him by the name Ho Chi Min. He was working in hotel in Paris and was attempting, to no avail, to be heard. I apologize for not having his name at the time handy as I am currently in transit and do not have access to my resource books on the subject. He was of course ignored and was credited with the quote, "To know the way of the tiger. One must first sleep in his cave."
    I have been reading your blog since you started and will continue to do so.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the long delay in my reply. Well put! Thanks for reading. I am thinking of doing a related blog. Best, tht

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Design of a Violent Century by Hunt Tooley is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.